The comment I receive most is from the mid to higher handicap golfer who thinks that they are not good enough to be fit for golf clubs. This is just not the case. The truth is that they are the types of golfer who will benefit most from a real clubfitting.
A good player has the skill set to be able to adapt their game better to ill-fitting clubs. They usually don’t do this as the good player knows the benefits gained by being fit. The high handicap player doesn’t have ability to adjust their game and without being fit properly their chances of improving are virtually zero.
I am not talking about going into your local big box store and having someone tell you which set of off the rack the salesman thinks will benefit them the most. I am talking about a true fitting which includes all of the following:
- The correct clubheads for their swing
- The shaft which helps the maximize both their distance and accuracy
- The correct set make up e.g. where do the irons stop and hybrids begin
- The fairway woods with the best lofts for their particular course
- The driver with the correct loft and shaft to give them the best launch and spin rates their swing is capable of producing
- The correct lie angle on their clubs to allow them not only to strike the ball better but be more consistent with their direction
- The correct lengths of shafts which allow them to strike the ball in the middle of the clubface consistently
- Wedges which allow them the best opportunity to be able to hit the short game shots the will need regularly
All of this becomes useless if the clubs are not built to the EXACT specs that the fitter decides on. Most golfers do not get their clubs built correctly and they end up with a slightly adjusted off the rack set with inconsistent specs throughout their bag.
If the mid to high handicap player takes the time to be fit correctly, they will notice an immediate benefit to their game. Any lessons they decide to take afterwards will prove to be fruitful. Whereas, previous to being fit they will have wondered why they were wasting their time believing that they could not get any better.
We truly believe that every golfer, from Tour Pro to complete beginner, should be fit to maximize their game and get the most enjoyment out of their time playing.